PARENT SAFETY TIPS
As a parent, you are an important part of the bus safety awareness program for students who travel to and from school by bus. You can help us keep your child safe when riding the bus by going over the bus rules as well as the safety tips for students, parents and motorist.
Here's How You Can Help
- Click on bus safety rules: Go over these rules with your child.
- Help your children to leave the house on time. Students should be present at their bus stop at least (5) minutes prior to the designated pick -up time. The bus can not wait in the roadway and hold up traffic for students who are late.
- If possible go with your child to the bus stop.
- Tell your children to walk in groups, if possible.
- Remind children to walk on sidewalk or out of the street.
- Teach your children to stop, look left, right and then to the left again before crossing the street.
- Running games, shoving, or horseplay is too dangerous at the bus stop and around traffic.
- Tell your children to stand 10 feet (5 to 8 giant steps) away from the street when waiting for the bus.
- If anything is dropped during loading or unloading the bus, children need to tell the bus driver.
- Talk to your children about the "Danger Zone"
This is the area that is the most dangerous. In this area it is difficult for the bus driver to see the children.